Sunday, August 16, 2015

National Rum Day

According to Tommy Bahama, and who could doubt such a source?, today is National Rum Day.




The drink in the foreground is a rum old-fashioned made with Skipper Rum. Normally, I like to make my rum old-fashioneds with a mixture of Demerara rum and Jamaican rum, specifically Smith and Cross, but the bottle of Smith and Cross in this picture is empty as of last night.

I'm not a rum expert; I just drink the stuff. I drink it because I like it, because it has cultural associations that I like and because you can buy premium rums for a lot less you can buy premium whiskey or brandy. (The only premium rum in that photo is the (albeit empty) Smith and Cross—the other two are both good.)

Today's old-fashioned is 100 percent Skipper Rum. I bought this bottle because of the name. Yes, I would judge a book by its cover. I like Skipper Rum. It's a real dark rum and you can really taste the molasses in it. To my palate, it's not a sipping rum like the Smith and Cross but it makes a fine old-fashioned. It also makes a good rum punch. And it's got a fun name and a great label. What more do you need in a rum?

Why is there Kahlua in this picture? That's a subject for a future post when I discuss spiced rum. Yes, I drink that stuff too. I'm neither a rum expert nor a rum snob.

No comments:

Post a Comment